WWE Legend Hacksaw Jim Duggan spoke with The Labradorian and here are the highlights:
His thoughts on turning heel in WCW: “What they were trying to do was make me quit. They brought me back up and said ‘we’re going to turn you against America. I’m thinking ‘Iraq, Iran, where are they going to go with this?’ They said, ‘well, we’re putting you with Team Canada.’ And I said, ‘well, there’s not a lot of heat there really.’”
His thoughts on the Royal Rumble concept: “It was a pretty unique idea. Of course, Vince McMahon is a groundbreaking guy. He comes up with a lot of ideas, some work, some don’t, like the XFL.”
His thoughts on winning the Royal Rumble: “It something I can still hang my hat on. I was never world champ, I was never tag team champ, I was never intercontinental champ. But people remember that Royal Rumble winner thing.”
- The Monday night wars continued back on this day in 1998 when WWF Raw beat WCW Nitro 4.2 to 3.8 in the ratings.
- WrestleMania 19 (2003) went down in Seattle, Washington at Safeco Field back on this day. It was the first WrestleMania under the Brand Extension. This show also marks the retirement match of Stone Cold Steve Austin. The main event saw Brock Lesnar defeated Kurt Angle to win the WWE Title.
- WrestleMania 24 took place on this day back in 2008 from Citrus Bowl, in Orlando, Florida. This event marked the retirement match for Ric Flair for only WWE. The main event saw The Undertaker defeated Edge to win the world title.
- In 2010, Jack Swagger cashed in his Money In The Bank & defeated Chris Jericho to win the World Title on Smackdown.
- Former WWE Superstar Trent Barretta turns 27 today.
- 5-time WWF Tag Team Champion Mike Rotunda AKA “IRS” turns 56 today.
- One-time NWA World Champion Ron Garvin turns 69 today.
- Former WWE Superstar Zach Gowen turns 31 today.